Board Election Candidate Updates: 2021/2022
The following members have accepted their nominations to participate in the BOD elections. These roles are responsible for the viability of the organization and must oversee the main areas of a successful operation.
Nomination Process/Board Overview
The Election Process
- Elections happen annually at the AGM but generally not each Director position will need to be filled as Directors serve 2 year terms
- WAG and non-WAG/MAG Board representatives are elected annually
- As a member, you will receive an email 60 days in advance of the AGM asking you to submit names to stand for election.
- To nominate someone, you must be a member in good standing. In order for your nomination to be considered, they also must be a member in good standing and receive 2 nominations.
- Those nominated will be given the opportunity to accept or decline the nomination.
- The membership will be notified at least 10 days in advance of the AGM who has accepted the nomination and will be standing for election.
- We elect Directors to the BOD who will then be placed into the five main Officer roles according to their skill set.
What is it Like to Serve on the Board?
Serving on the Board of Directors is a very rewarding experience but does require a significant time investment. Collectively the BOD is responsible for the viability of the organization and must oversee the main areas of a successful operation. While this primarily includes financial decisions, it also includes all areas that can affect its finances. The Board oversees and assists committees with the delivery of fundraising, gym events, program delivery, marketing, community outreach and so much more is. An effective BOD will assess their individual strengths and work together to specialize in the areas that they can best serve the gym. The BOD also must recognize the value and expertise of Energy’s staff and trust them to run the day to day operations of the facility, doing what they do best. Each Director’s unique background and skill set is considered before they are placed into an Officer role.
The duties and responsibilities of the BOD change based on the needs of the Gym at any given time. If the Gym is actively in need of staff, or experiencing a crisis such as a pandemic and gym closures, the role can be very operational and require a weekly time investment. When the operations and programs are running well the BOD meets monthly and focuses on big picture needs such as strategic planning, large policy changes, community outreach and support future business development. Currently the board is considered partially operational with aspirations to move to the governance model when financial recovery is complete.
2020/2021 Board term: Average meetings 2 per month, varying from 2.5-3 hours. The meeting goal is a hard stop at 2 hours however Covid19 has caused additional workload, but it is managed by all BOD members.